Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Homesteading

My newest obsession is homesteading. Really, it's a continuation of old obsessions. Basically, it means doing things yourself, growing your own food, producing your own energy. It translates into urban farms, learning to make butter, and cheese, raising goats,and sheep, and crocheting and mending clothing, and having solar panels and wind mills.

There are lots of different categories. Rural homesteading, urban homesteading, suburban homesteading, apartment homesteading. Right now, I am most concerned with the apartment variety. There are limiting factors, of course.

Balconies, patios, and windows are big. They allow you to have small potted gardens. Community gardens help a lot too. And CSAs! They are a huge part of urban homesteading. Learning to bake bread, and can vegetables and salsa, these are all skills I would love to acquire.

This new knowledge of homesteading is really shaping how I see myself growing as a person and how I want to live next year. Educating room mates, learning new cooking skills, cleaning with homemade cleansers, reusing things, repairing things, growing some potted plants... I am incredibly excited to see how it all works out :)

No comments:

Post a Comment